Vegan mac and cheese with kale
Time: 30 minutes
- 1 bunch kale
- 2 cups whole grain or gluten-free pasta
- 1 1/3 cup nut milk, unsweetened
- 1 cup cashews, raw
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup of roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil or olive oil
- 3 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt to tast
- 1/2 lemon
- Boil water for pasta and cook per its direction.
- Heat a separate large pan, adding 1/2 tbsp. oil. Sauté onion until translucent (~5 minutes)
- Mix cashews, nut milk, lemon juice and salt in blender. Once onions are cooked, add in nutritional yeast, peppers, and garlic. Let sit until ready for use.
- In same large pan, add the remaining oil. Once melted, add kale. Cook until wilted (5-8 minutes). Set to the side until pasta is cooked.
- Once pasta is cooked, add pasta and nut milk mixture to the kale. Mix thoroughly. Cover with a lid and let sit for 10 minutes. Serve when done.