Coconut curry with chickpeas and leafy greens
Time: 25 mins
- 4-5 handfuls of leafy green (spinach, kale or Swiss chard)
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 large white or yellow onion
- 1 can diced tomatoes (15 oz.)
- 1 can of chickpeas, rinsed (15 oz.)
- 1 tbsp. garam masala
- 1 tbsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk (15 oz.)
- 1 lime
- In a deep pot over medium high heat, add the coconut oil.
- When pan hot, add in onions and saute until the onion starts to cook down [approx. 5 minutes). Add the tomatoes, season with a dash of sea salt and ground black pepper, and stir. Lower heat to medium and cook down the juices of the tomatoes and onions (approx. 10 minutes).
- Add in the chickpeas, garlic, garam masala, curry powder, turmeric, and cumin. Combine well.
- Add in the coconut milk. Bring the curry to a boil and then reduce to medium-low and simmer for 10 to 12 more minutes.
- Add leafy green, stirring until wilted.
- Taste the curry and season with salt and pepper if you desire. Remove the curry from the heat and squeeze lime lightly over the curry, stirring to combine.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve over your whole grain of choice.